- clean and jerk
- nouna weightlift in which the barbell is lifted to shoulder height and then jerked overhead• Syn: ↑clean• Part Meronyms: ↑jerk
* * *noun: a lift in weight lifting in which the weight is momentarily raised from the floor, held at shoulder height, and then jerked overhead — compare press, snatch
* * *Weight Lifting.a lift in which a barbell is raised from the floor to shoulder height where it is brought to rest and then, with a lunging movement by the lifter, is thrust overhead so the arms extend straight in the air, being held in this position for a short, specified length of time.[1935-40]
* * *clean and jerk,an exercise in weight lifting in which the barbell is lifted from the floor, brought to rest against the chest, and raised above the head.–v.i.to execute a clean and jerk.–v.t.to lift (a weight) in this exercise.
* * *n. [in sing.] a two-movement weightlifting exercise in which a weight is raised above the head following an initial lift to shoulder level
* * *ˌclean and ˈjerk 7 [clean and jerk] nounan exercise in ↑weightlifting in which a bar with weights is lifted to the shoulder, and then raised above the head
Useful english dictionary. 2012.